Virtual Policy Forum Series
Beginning in summer 2020 and continuing into early 2021, the Network for Landscape Conservation is hosting a Virtual Policy Forum Series on the Future of Landscape Conservation. The purpose of this series is to foster a national dialogue on collaborative landscape conservation and the challenges and opportunities necessary for success. Through these conversations, we fill an important information-sharing and network-building niche by engaging policy leaders from a broad and diverse spectrum of organizations with the aim of improving the policies, resources, collaboration, and clarity on an emerging framework for landscape conservation in North America. We hope these Forums provide a useful resource for policy-makers and practitioners alike as we navigate the changing political, economic, social, and environmental landscapes.
Funding to support this forum series has been provided by Center for Large Landscape Conservation, US Fish & Wildlife Service Science Applications Program, and the Network for Landscape Conservation.
- Sally Jewell, former U.S. Secretary of the Interior
- Collin O’Mara, President and CEO of the National Wildlife Federation
- Mamie Parker, former Assistant Director for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and current Board chair of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries
- Lynn Scarlett, Chief External Affairs Officer at The Nature Conservancy and former Deputy Secretary and Chief Operating Officer of the U.S. Department of the Interior
- Tony Wasley, Director of the Nevada Department of Wildlife and chair of the Executive Committee of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies.
Note: due to problems with the original recording, the introductory remarks prior to the start of the panel discussion have been re-recorded.
The second forum in the series brought together thought-leaders to discuss the substantial role of private lands in collaborative landscape-scale conservation, with an eye towards identifying policies and approaches to better engage private landowners in landscape conservation activities. Lesli Allison (Executive Director of the Western Landowners Alliance) offered a keynote, followed by a panel discussion moderated by Lynn Scarlett (Chief External Affairs Office of The Nature Conservancy) and featuring:
- Jimmy Bullock – Senior Vice President of Forest Sustainability, Resource Management Service LLC
- Adam Kiel – Iowa Soybean Association and Senior Vice President, AgOutcomes, Inc.
- Jim Lyons – past Undersecretary for Natural Resources and Environment, Vice President of Landscape Conservation for Defenders of Wildlife
- Sara Parker Pauley – Director of the Missouri Department of Conservation, and President of the Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies.
More details and registration forthcoming.
More details and registration forthcoming